What is PrEP?
If you are HIV negative, PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) is one pill a day that keeps you that way. PrEP might be right for you if:
- You don't always wear a condom
- You have multiple sex partners
- You have an HIV-positive partner
What is PEP?
PEP: Post-exposure prophylaxis
PEP is an emergency medicine you take right after you are exposed to HIV. PEP works best if started right away.
- If you think you were exposed to HIV, immediately go to a clinic or emergency room and ask for PEP
- PEP can protect you in case of an emergency - for example, if you had anal or vaginal sex without a condom with someone who has or might have HIV
- PEP can also stop HIV if you were exposed while injecting drugs
- PEP works best if you can take it for the full 28-day course
- Do not stop taking PEP without talking to your doctor