The Pediatric Neurosurgery program at Oishei Children's Hospital includes the only full time, fellowship trained pediatric neurosurgeons in this region, Veetai Li, MD and Renée Reynolds, MD. Both physicians also have board certification in Neurological Surgery and Pediatric Neurological Surgery.
The department offers the full spectrum of pediatric neurosurgical care. The most common diagnosis in the practice is Hydrocephalus and the full armamentarium of treatment for this entity is offered. Additionally, the team participates in several comprehensive multi-disciplinary clinics at Oishei Children's Hospital, which include:
- Neuro-oncology Clinic: treats children with tumors of the brain and spinal cord
- Spina Bifida Center of Western New York: offers the full spectrum of medical and surgical care for children and adults with congenital spinal cord malformations
- Neurofibromatosis Clinic: treats patients with NF1 and NF2, tuberous sclerosis and other from of neurocutaneous diseases
- Spasticity Clinic: provides medical and neurosurgical treatment of spasticity in children
- Craniofacial Center of Western New York: geared towards evaluating and treating children with congenital malformations of the skull and facial region, including craniosynostosis
- Epilepsy Monitoring Unit: provides advanced evaluation and care for children with epilepsy
Finally, the pediatric neurosurgical team participates in the management of trauma patients with brain and spinal cord injuries.
Both Dr. Li and Dr. Reynolds have expertise in minimally invasive neurosurgical techniques, including endoscopic surgery, stereotaxy (framed and frameless), and laser therapy for epilepsy treatment, allowing for more precise and less traumatic removal of brain tumors and other brain lesions. They uses intra-operative functional mapping and electrocorticography for patients with tumors or other lesions in sensitive areas of the brain and for Epilepsy surgery. The physicians also have access to stereo eeg and the neuropace which are leading edge epilepsy tools.
Additional care is provided by pediatric nurse practitioner, Sara Rivera, RN, MS, CPNP. She provides continuity for both inpatient and outpatient care and is a tremendous educational resource for families.
Types of diagnoses covered:
- Brain and spinal cord tumors (pediatric neuro-oncology)
- Craniofacial anomalies
- Spinal Dysraphism (spina bifida)
- Surgery for epilepsy (pediatric)
- Brain and spinal cord trauma
- Congenital brain anomalies
- Chiari malformations
- Cerebrovascular disorders (Moya Moya disease)
- Brachial plexus and peripheral nerve injuries
- Movement disorders