The Pediatric Hospitalist Group is part of UBMD Pediatrics and provides community-based physicians with access to the comprehensive services at Oishei Children's Hospital regardless of hospital affiliation or location. A Hospitalist is a physician who specializes in the care of patients that require admission to the hospital. Their field of practice is focused on providing the highest quality medical care to their hospitalized patients. The Hospitalists at UBMD Pediatrics do not have private outpatient medical practices, which allow them to be focused and available to care for even the most complex of medical patients. Hospitalists temporarily assume the role of a patient’s primary care doctor while in the hospital. That care is later handed off back to the primary physician once medically ready for discharge. Timely communication maintains a safe transition from hospitalization to outpatient care.
Service is available for immediate hospitalization of pediatric patients with subsequent inpatient management for medical problems within the scope of general pediatrics.
- Access to hospital direct admission for medically appropriate patients allowing patients to avoid the Emergency Department.
- Immediate access to a member of the Pediatric Hospital Medicine Service for telephone consultation and/or hospitalization of a patient.
- Inpatient consultative services available for contracted Hospital Medicine Groups for patients admitted to other subspecialty services at Oishei Children's Hospital.
- Responsive feedback. Timely, regular phone communication regarding patient status as needed.
- Written patient summaries forwarded to the primary care physician within 48 hours after discharge.
- Follow-up primary care appointments arranged for patients upon discharge.
- Quick connections to Oishei Children's Hospital's sub-specialist consultations.
- Consultative resources for physicians. All patients will be returned to the referring physician for primary care and unrelated problems.