Early Childhood Helpline/Inclusion
The Early Childhood Helpline, an Initiative of Success By 6, is a free service for child care centers, family child care providers and group family homes. An Early Childhood Development Specialist is available to provide assistance with problems or concerns you might have regarding children, environment, curriculum, activities, and community resources.
The Early Childhood Direction Center also provides assistance to early childhood programs to improve options and opportunities for preschool children with developmental delays or disabilities served in typical early childhood settings.
With a simple phone call, you can contact the Early Childhood Helpline at (716) 408-2591 from Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. to request a consultation or site visit. You may also contact Jenn Minet via email at JMinet@kaleidahealth.org at any time.
Following the site visit or consultation, the Early Childhood Development Specialist may offer recommendations for program adjustments, suggestions for implementing new strategies, additional training or help with a referral to special services offered by various organizations or agencies.
The Early Childhood Helpline office is located at the Early Childhood Direction Center (part of Kaleida Health) at 1000 Hertel Ave., Buffalo 14216 (Childcare Resource Network building). This collaboration provides many resources in working with children with special needs.
What Can the Early Childhood Helpline Do For You?
- Provide recommendations for working with children with challenging behaviors
- Offer referrals and suggestions for children in your care who may have developmental delays
- Assist with room arrangements and environments
- Offer a "mini" in-service for staff on topics affecting your program (e.g., Biting, Developmentally Appropriate Practice, Parent Communication, and more)
- Provide resources to share with parents and staff about Developmentally Appropriate Practice
- Offer techniques and strategies for including children with special needs in your program
What are people saying about the Helpline?
"Due to the Helpline visit, the child we wanted observed will be receiving special services."
"The Helpline advice for the classrooms was very helpful. She directed us to the right places for help with the child."
"The Development Specialist was extremely helpful and supportive."
"Teachers read written materials and implemented new techniques in the classrooms."