Tuesday & Thursday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Body composition measurement and clinic visit with 2-4 providers
- Child psychologist & clinical social workers
- Registered dietician
- Physical & occupational therapists
*Evaluation with surgeon for select patients seeking weight loss/metabolic surgery
What to Expect
No Mention of Weight! Our specialized scale follows body composition, that is, muscle, fat and bone mass. You will quickly see why this a much more accurate way to measure progress.
No Mention of Diets! Discussion centers around being healthy & active with structured meals at structured times.
- You can expect sensitive issues to be approached in a gentle manner by a team of professionals who all specialize in pediatrics and bariatrics. Summaries of your progress will be shared with your doctor.
- There will be realistic goals, lots of learning and even some fun: hands-on cooking classes, fitness guidance, our private Healthy Weigh Facebook page and possibly some Yoga soon.
- You can expect monthly visits for about six months.
Commonly Asked Questions
Why is the initial visit between 2-3 hours long?
You will meet with 4 different providers who will get to know you & your goals, and will work with you to develop a personalized plan.
What will you need for your initial visit?
We ask that you eat a good meal prior to this longer visit so that you are alert and comfortable to share and receive a good amount of information. Please bring your completed Patient Questionnaire and the Food Log. Wear sneakers or comfortable shoes for the fitness portion of the program.
My child has an autism spectrum disorder. Can she/he participate in the program?
Yes. All providers in the program have experience caring for children with developmental disabilities. All are welcome.
Will medical tests and consults be necessary?
It is likely that fasting blood work will be ordered at some point. For some participants, a sleep study will be recommended. Referrals to specialists will be on an as needed basis.
Who should attend Healthy Weigh appointments with my child?
Adults who are primary caretakers of the child, provide childcare for the family and/or reside with the child; and those who shop for groceries and prepare meals for the family. Many care managers attend with their clients to offer added support.
Do you offer weight loss/metabolic surgery?
Dr. Harmon is our bariatric surgeon and he will follow patients who are interested in weight loss surgery over a minimum of six months before deciding with family whether an adolescent meets criteria. The Healthy Weigh psychologist and counselor welcome those interested in surgery and those who have had bariatric surgery to their monthly support group held the last Tuesday of the month at 12:30 p.m.
Does the American Academy of Pediatrics support weight loss/metabolic surgery in older children?
The AAP supports the option of bariatric surgery for adolescents who are faced with obesity related disease. These include sleep apnea, hypertension, dyslipidemia, diabetes, prediabetes, insulin resistance, joint pain, recurrent headaches, depression and anxiety, polycystic ovarian syndrome, metabolic syndrome and fatty liver/NASH.
I’d like to participate in the Healthy Weigh program. What are my next steps?
Call us at (716) 323-6120 to set up an appointment and obtain any needed paperwork. Complete our questionnaire and a three-day food log and fax to (716) 323-6687 or bring them to your first appointment.
Oishei Children's Outpatient Center
1001 Main Street
Buffalo, NY 14203
*Take the elevator to the third floor and look for the yellow lion. A walkable bridge connects the Conventus Building to Oishei Children's Hospital.
- Valet parking at the Conventus Building entrance = $7 for 3 hours
- Parking ramp beneath the Conventus Building = max $9
- Street parking on High Street
- Metro Rail station: Allen/Medical Campus Station, then one block to the corner of High St. and Main St.
- Medicaid transportation: visit www.medanswering.com to set up an online account or call 1-800-651-7040 at least one week prior to your appointment. Home Health Care Managers can help with this.