Unfortunately we will not be accepting new applications for a summer 2021 practicum. We will be honoring the offers to the 2020 students who were unable to complete their placement due to Covid-19 regulations. We are sorry for the inconvenience, thank you for understanding.
The Child Life Department at John R. Oishei Children’s Hospital offers a 150 hour Child Life Practicum in May/June. The purpose of our practicum program is to introduce students to the field of child life as well as a variety of experiences that pediatric patients and their families face while hospitalized. The student will be supervised by a certified child life specialist and will have opportunities to observe the CCLS in the healthcare setting, plan developmentally appropriate play activities and develop their interaction skills with patients and families. This program is highly recommended for students considering a career as a Child Life Specialist.
Program Goals and Objectives
- To become familiar with the child life profession
- To build skills in communication and observation in relation to hospitalized pediatric patients
- To recognize the value of play in the hospital setting
- To recognize the application of child life theory to practice
- Weekly journals documenting observations
- Weekly required readings
- One patient assessment
- One procedural observation
- Implementation of a developmentally appropriate play activity
- Completed coursework in child and adolescent development
- 25 hours volunteering or working with children
- Applications are due March 1st
Applications should be sent with a resume, cover letter and school transcript to:
Melanie Mercurio, BS, CCLS
John R. Oishei Children’s Hospital
Child Life Department
818 Ellicott St
Buffalo, NY 14203
Due to the competitive nature of child life student placements and the size of our child life team we are limited in the number of students accepted. Students will be interviewed by the practicum coordinator and notified of their placement via phone. If you have any further questions please contact the child life department at 323-1520.