Dear Intern Applicant,
Thank you for expressing interest in the internship program of the Child Life Department at Oishei Children’s Hospital, a Kaleida Health facility. We were proud to be named by Leapfrog as one of the top 10 Children’s Hospitals in 2018. Our facility is a 185 bed, freestanding Children’s Hospital. There are two inpatient medical floors, an Oncology Unit, Same Day Surgery, Epilepsy Study, PICU, NICU, multiple clinic areas and a busy ED with an additional ten observation beds.
It is our goal to provide you with a comprehensive clinical experience in our Child Life program. We offer students a sixteen-week internship (600 hours) to prepare you for working in the field as a child life specialist. We offer two internship sessions including January through May and August through December. Please review the intern requirements listed below. We accept the Association of Child Life Professional’s common application. Along with your application, it is required that you provide three letters of recommendation. These letters can be emailed as part of a group email from an instructor if necessary. Unofficial transcripts are accepted as it is understood that the application process can get very expensive. If accepted as an intern, official transcripts will be required.
Health requirements will be in a separate mailing if you are the chosen candidate. We do employ certified Child Life Specialists who are available to oversee your internship. The intern is responsible for finding his/her own housing. A candidate can check with our department to verify if a potential apartment is in a safe area of the city. Once all applications are received, chosen candidates will be called to schedule an interview. If you have questions regarding our internship program, you can contact us at (716) 323-1520. Please find the intern requirements below. Our internship program follows the ACLP modules for the 16 week experience. Please mail your application to Oishei Children’s Hospital, 818 Ellicott Street, Buffalo, NY 14203. We are looking forward to receiving your information soon.
Dena Sterns, CCLS
Child Life Intern Coordinator
CLC Common Internship Applications are available online by clicking on this link. Please mail your application once completed to the Child Life Department, Oishei Children's Hospital, 818 Ellicott Street, Buffalo, NY 14203.
- Submission of the Association for Child Life Professionals common application including Eligibility Assessment
- Resume, college transcripts (unofficial) and three recommendation letters
- Verification of volunteer work within a health care setting and/or program designed for special needs populations ( at least 100 hours)
- Relevant course work as approved by ACLP to become certified including a course taught by a CCLS
- Previous experience with well infants, children, youth and/or families
- Health clearance according to NYS requirements
- Professional Liability Insurance (if not affiliated with a university program)
- Three areas for personal growth during the internship submitted with your application
- General Kaleida orientation/Child Life Department orientation
- Journals turned in weekly for review
- One project to be discussed with your supervisor
- Weekly evaluative meetings between intern and supervisor
- Must own required texts: Child Life in Hospitals; The Handbook of Child Life